Friday, March 19, 2010

It's ok to come out the closet, and talk!

In general, conversational obstacles’ exit between members of the same sex due to gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, social class, and age. Certain people of the same sex can be individualism, or collectivism. An individual person, is a very independent individual and uses "I" language, and is very self reliance. A collective person is interdependent, uses "we" language, and likes to work as a group, togetherness, and harmony. Women, tend to me more cooperative, have rational success, are softer and nicer, and relationship oriented. Men, are more competitive, based more on material success, task oriented, and are hard and tough. But of course, there is always those individuals that put up a front, which creates obstacles between the same sex.

Gender differences in the purpose of talk, include for males, they have more urge towards indecency, they go by rules, "report talk" in public and private, their more quite at home, and they interrupt to control, as oppose to females, they are more intimate, they like to build relationships, "rapport talk" in public and private, they are more talkative at home, and they interrupt to commune. When women talk they endure high self closure, and emotion sharing, We like to talk to develop and maintain relationships. Men endure less self disclosure, and use knowledge sharing, they like to use activities to develop and maintain a relationship.

I believe that it isn't easy for a son and father, and for a daughter and mother to have that type of interpersonal communication. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but most mothers, and fathers don't have the courage to actually sit there and have a conversation with their children. Most parents intimidate them by telling them if certain things, like for example, mom says, "if i catch you doing something your not suppose to, your going to get it!", I mean I don't know about you but I can just picture my mom telling me that with a serious tone. It's a good thing that parents put a halt to situations by doing that, but it also has it's cons. Children are most likely to not express to their parents they've done something wrong, even if it is a big, or small problem. And of course, as we get much older, now it becomes a situation were, ok I'm old enough to know what I am doing, so therefore I don't have to tell my mother or father everything I do, but again. it's not like that with everybody. If parents, actually grew the courage to talk and open up their daughter, or son I honestly think they will learn to have successful interpersonal communication amongst each other, more trust will be within each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment